I just listened to my first webinar, presented by Paul Levy,
the former CEO of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Paul turned around a failing
institution, obviously he is a strong leader and probably knows a little bit of what he's talking about.
The webinar was about creating a Learning Organization and
he presented it weaving his experiences as a girls soccer coach and how those
same principles apply to any organization. It was very motivating and
fascinating talk…and of course is the subject this, of my first blog post.
A learning organization is one that has the capacity to
learn as time goes by…fairly straight forward, no "aha" moments about that.
He presented several principles to create a learning organization:
·
Think of how you will handing something before
it gets to you.
·
Benchmark performances against you own
performance (not against industry standards or other companies).
·
Empathy (this we have learned a lot about in
class). Be sufficiently
empathetic to the learner and
where they are at in their learning cycle. Empathy is the most
important aspect of a leader.
·
You never know when a kind word will have a huge
impact.
·
Learning from your mistakes.
·
Leadership takes ownership of errors. When something is defined as saying “it
could have happened to anyone”, this indicates a system error.
·
Let the stars shine and excel. You must work as a team and have a team
approach, but know when to let the bright excel.
·
Allow for problems to be called out on the front
lines (must empower employees to do this without repercussions.
·
Thus, leaders must serve those people and help
fix the problems and find process improvements.
·
Admit your own mistakes.
And finally
·
Learning something means you need to change the
context of your present mindset.
This causes distress, but distress is needed for learning.
Another concept he mentioned was the “normalization of
deviants”, where errors and mistakes become the norm, thus they are not fixed
until they become a big problem.
Paul gave the example of the Space Shuttle Columbia explosion. The breaking off of heat tiles was
observed well before the accident, but nothing had resulted from it. It became the
norm and then tragedy struck.
I think about this lecture and my own experiences. We see this at work everyday when our
medications have not been removed from the medical record. It has become the norm, nothing has
happened and we hear nothing of it.
Finally we get word that a doctor has complained that one (or two) of her patients had no treatments given to them over the night shift. This normalization of deviants, which has resulted in no
issues, has finally become an problem. The question I have is, what are we doing about it and has our
leadership assumed the responsibility and taken ownership of it? Additionally, where is the accountability? Who should assume it?
I’m not about to criticize my managers, but I think this
opens up a learning opportunity. Additionally, what from this will I take forward
into my career? What I take from
this is that you can apply the learning organization concepts to more than just
the greater organization. It can
be applied to your individual departments, to your family to ourselves.
I find it fascinating that these concepts, which worked so
well while coaching a recreational soccer team can be applied to an
organization making up thousands of individuals. This to me, is where leadership is so powerful, defining basic
concepts (which I have a terrible time doing) and knowing how and where to apply
them.
What I have found in my own limited leadership experiences
is that you don’t always know how to apply these concepts, but you attempt to
put them in effect to the best of your ability. I’m starting early in my career, when there is little risk
for trying and making mistakes.
Hopefully this "training" will pay off when the accountability is high, the stakes are higher and
there is more on the line then figuring out where to store intubation boxes.
No comments:
Post a Comment